Curriculum Vitae for Mark S. Fornalik
Summary of Professional Experience:
Mark Fornalik has served as a research scientist, analytical chemist, process engineer,
product development team leader and technical sales representative in his career at
Eastman Kodak Company. After voluntarily leaving Kodak, Mark joined Ethox International as
Director of Analytical Chemistry and Biofouling Science. Most recently, he formed an independent
engineering and measurement science consulting firm called Industrial Biofouling Science.
He has extensive experience in manufacturing process contamination and biofouling detection,
characterization and control, and extensive experience leading high-powered teams. Mark also has
experience with new business development and working in front of customers in Asia, Europe and
North America. This business development experience enabled his team to go from product conception
to first commercial sale at Kodak in 18 months.
Masters of Science, Biophysics, SUNY/Buffalo
Bachelors of Arts, Biology, State University College at Buffalo
- Patent 5872317, Method for Measuring Wall Shear Stress Due to Fluid Flow In Piping Systems,
February 16, 1999.
- Patent 6043078, Method for Reduction of Biological Growth in Solution, March 28, 2000.
- Patent 6679274, Clean In Place Method for Cleaning Solution Delivery Systems/Lines,
January 20, 2004.
- Five patents pending (as of October, 2007)
- Over 25 Eastman Kodak internal reports
MBAA Technical Quarterly, 45(4):340-344 (2008).
" Biofouling and Process Cleaning. "
Photonics Spectra Magazine, issue on Photonics and Food, March (2008).
" Detecting Biofouling in Food Processing Systems. "
Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum (PMF) newsletter 13(1):2-11 (2007).
" A Practical Approach to Understanding and Controlling Biofouling."
Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum (PMF) newsletter 15(6):2-9 (2009).
" Biofouling Characterization in Two Winery Process Lines. "
Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum (PMF) newsletter 15(11):6-12 (2009).
" Non-Destructive Characterization of a Steam System Biofilm by
Mark Fornalik, Betsy Pitts, and Jill Fornalik. "
Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum (PMF) Webinar Presented March 17, 2010.
" Introduction to Biofilms and Biofouling in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing.
- Montana State University’s Center for Biofilm Engineering, summer Technical Advisory Committee
meeting, Bozeman, Montana, July 2006 and July 2009.
- Institute of Food Technologists regional conferences (Rochester, NY, in March 2009 and
Worchester, MA in May 2009).
- Master Brewers Association regional meetings (Utica, NY, Portland, ME and Montreal,
Canada, all in 2008).
- 2nd Annual Pharmaceutical Microbiology Conference (PDA), Bethesda, MD, October 2007.
- Institute for Environmental Sciences and Technology (IEST) spring regional conference,
Canandaigua, New York, June 2006 and June 2010.
Conference Organizer and Co-organizer:
- Fouling, Cleaning and Disinfection in Food Processing Equipment Conference, Cambridge,
England, March 2006.
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology Forum (PMF) Advanced Topics in Biofilm, Philadelphia, PA,
April 12 - 13, 2010.
- Material Research Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2011.
- Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE, Europe) Journal of Food and Bioproducts
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
- Institute for Beverage Processing Engineers (IBPE)